Welcome to my Blog!

"For me, and, I am sure, for most of you, to be human is to always be in the process of becoming, to be in quest of openings, of possibilities." ~ Maxine Greene




Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Black Brant Geese

For the past few weeks, the weather in Seattle has grown a bit sunnier and warmer!  We are now up to the mid-50s on most days, with "sun breaks"!  (Hey, I'll take ANYTHING after the 15 straight days of rain we just had.)
I have been going down to the beach and walking in the sand as much as I can -- No change in the left knee, for those of you following my "grounding" experiment to have the pain go away, but the experience has been enjoyable nonetheless.  
For one thing, I get to see the constant change in array of birds who visit the shoreline.  This is a photo (from the web) of a Black Brant Goose.  There are about 3 dozen of them hanging out right at the shoreline, dipping down for seaweed and goodness-knows-what-else gets kicked up by the small waves.  They chortle a bit, and sound like Canadian Geese in a more muffled kind of way.  None of that loud honking.  These birds tend to come through this part of the planet on their way north.  I am hoping they will nest here, and have little babies to watch, but I think they will be leaving soon.


It's such a wonder to me, how birds migrate over thousands of miles to find their various resting and nesting places.  This troupe of birds has been a treat to watch.  I sat and watched them chortle around for about 20 minutes today, with my toes in the sand and a latté in my hand.  It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment